Obviously each individual is going to have specific questions, but I want to have a core set running through all the interviews so there is some consistency and a measuring system in place of how different each one is. I will ask all the questions but I might not necessarily use them all, it’s just out of personal interest and a way of allowing the interviewee to open up and feel relaxed. So here are my bread and butter questions.
Digging deeper into their relationship with characters…
-Could you talk me through your first interaction with Japanese culture, if you can remember it.
-What is it about anime or manga that draws you in?
-Which anime/manga do you love and why…
-Could you talk to us about some of your figurines, whats the story behind them?
-Do you feel a connection/ emotionally attached with any of your figurines?
-How much money have you have spent on creating your Otaku Sanctuary?
-Does the majority of attention go into this hobby?
-I want to talk about the idea of the Sanctuary now, my bedroom is very much my place, I come to watch anime and read manga, I rarely do it anywhere else. Do you see your room in the same way or does your interaction with anime go beyond the four walls?
-Would you say your obsession is healthy?
– What do you personally gain from putting this much time and attention into collecting figures and watching anime?
– One thing I think people don’t understand is the difference between Hentai and Anime, the posters on your wall are “panty shots” could you describe why you chose to put these particular posters on your wall?
*For Jonezy specifically*
– In one of your comments on figure.fm you said you have a OCD when it comes to organising your room, do you feel that this part of you is drawn to the idea of perfection within Anime?
-What’s the fan base like where you are from?
-Do you attend any conventions? If so do you go alone or have friends to go with?
-How important is the Online Otaku community for you?
-Have you ever experienced prejudice as an Otaku?
-Why do you think “outsiders” can’t grasp the idea of Otaku?
-Does is ever upset you that you can’t be 100% open with people about the area you love so much?
-Can you describe the feeling you get when you meet another Otaku who likes similar anime randomly?
– Could you explain your life outside of your Otaku Sanctuary? What do you do day to day?
– Do you have friends or family who aren’t aware of your love for Anime?
(If so) Why do you keep it from them?