Draft posters, sizing and positioning

Using a very helpful piece of software called posterazor I created life size versions of my final pieces, I’ve been really stuck on size and layout. So using my photoshop play around layouts form yesterday I made the real life thing.

(Posterazor takes your chosen image at any size and then creates an A4 PDF of the image which you have to assemble like a puzzle.)

Option 1: Square
Magical Girl= A1
Product Placement = A3
Geisha = A3

On photoshop this was my favourite layout but in real life I don’t particularly like it. The layout makes it look like one giant image rather than 3 separate pieces. There isn’t enough space for each image, they are all quite colourful and once backlit by the electroluminescent sheets they well be quite intense, therefor need more spacing. The A3 print were also tiny, the full detail couldn’t be appreciated.

Option 2: Rectangle
Magical Girl= A1
Product Placement = A3
Geisha = A3

I rearranged the images to see if it was just the formality of the square I didn’t like. It wasn’t. The images are just to different in size and still to compact.

Option 3: A2 Vertical
Magical Girl: A2
Product Placement: A2
Geisha: A2

My original plan was to print all the images the same size in order to play on the similar angles and positioning within each image. Which was completely intentional but didn’t come across in the first 2 options of layout. So I printed all in A2 thinking they would be large enough. However I still don’t think they are, I am also not too keen on the vertical layout, but depending on space allowance it might have to be adopted to save wall area.

Option 4: A2 Horiontal
Magical Girl: A2
Product Placement: A2
Geisha: A2

I tried the same images but horizontally across the wall, my original plan for the images.It looked a lot better but I was still feeling the images were too small. I have to bear in mind however that once backlit they might appear bigger due to the bright light spread.

Option 5: A1 Horizontal
Magical Girl: A1
Product Placement: A1
Geisha: A1

I hadn’t planned to go over A2 size however I did have one A1 print of the magical girl photo from the first and second option. So I put that up and made similar sizes pieces out of the remaining prints I had. I feel more comfortable with this layout, however I will have to talk to Amber and Maria before making any plans because there might not be enough wall space to do this. I also worry about how having the backlighting will change this, will it become too much?

With this layout I imagine a podium around hip height underneath the middle of the magical girl image, with the figurine and trading cards on it.

Phubu talks to Graham Macindoe

Graham Macindoe was a guest lecturer in the 2012 Phonar course, and returned this week to talk to our Phubu (The progress of Raw Format Exit show). His personal stories and experiences adds depth to his work, see below for my live notes made on Twitter during the talk.

You can watch the lecture here…

  1. @grahammacindoe. I photographed myself with whatever I could lay my hands on – during drug and alcohol problems #phonar #Rawfmt
  2. In the life I was in there was a lot of detachment. That’s why I’m trying to show. #Rawfmt #Phonar @grahammacindoe talking about his work.
  3. “What you see is what you can interpret it to be” @grahammacindoe talking about his images. #phonar #Rawfmt
  4. #Rawfmt #Phonar “I Always like to make the viewer think beyond the photograph”
  5. Missing persons by @grahammacindoe was covered by the new york times! Press follows where #phonar leads. #phubu
  6. @grahammacindoe keeping notes from times past to aid the visual memoir, revisit these notes-can lead to interesting view points of a project
  7. “I think I can put everything together to make a powerful body of work” – @grahammacindoe #Rawfmt #Phonar #phubu
  8. “…just taking pictures on the streets to get my eyes exercised” @grahammacindoe, #rawfmt #phubu

RAW format poster

Last week after the class pitched their posters to everyone we decided to stick with the design Matt uses for CU Photography events. It maintains consistency and is professional. He send Mariya the files which she then passed on to myself and I passed on to Jenni.

This was the poster he sent.

We needed an Image for the top box, and also needed everyones symposium titles to arrange a put on the poster. This didn’t happen online, we had little response. So in class today we made a decision not to leave until an image had been chosen and everyones titles had been submitted. This is what I did with the poster. Using Genea Bailey’s image that the class chose I tried to creating a brand using the logo and colours we already had. It was hard to get so much information onto one page so hopefully the font won’t be too small in print. This is only a draft copy, we are still waiting on approval and official times for the talks. Jenni Hearn is responsable for doing the scheduling, using everyones titles she creating links between them all and formed a structure for the day’s events.

 

#rawfmt Logo Done

The first thing the group wanted to get done is a logo for our Exit show & Symposium, now we have chosen our name it’s an important part to brand ourselves.

Myself an Jenni came up with a few designs in class, and this one seemed most popular, so I changed the colours around and held a vote on facebook.

The winner is Number 6, we now have an official logo and colour scheme that we can start using to establish our brand.